When we were initially planning to start
this adoption process (early Spring), we had many conversations with our agency
about the timeline for completion. Originally, the plan was to travel and
complete over the summer so that I could be back before school started in the
Fall with enough time to get E settled in at home with a plan for school and/or
daycare. Ideally, this would ensure that I didn’t have another delay in my
education, and of course we would be able to get her home lickity-split! My
agency reminded me that this process involves a human life, and that there were
always unforeseen delays that may arise. I, of course, was initially offended.
Undoubtedly, this was a human process -- I mean, isn’t that the reason people
adopt children? To add another human to your family? I also have a good
deal of experience with “unforeseen delays”, so this was not breaking news to
me.
As we waited for
additional medical tests (more than 9 weeks), the dream of summer completion
slowly started to fade.
I really
don’t like it when my plans get mucked up.
So I started to make
new plans. The new plan included putting off school for the Fall and completing
our adoption during this semester. This would give us enough time for 8 weeks in
country, the rest of the year home on FMLA, and the opportunity to apply for
additional FMLA time for 2013. This would also give us a sufficient amount of time to make a plan for
school/day care for E, and I would be signed up for full-time during Spring
semester. I ended up taking an Independent Study this semester to study Latino
culture. I am supposed to use my time in Ecuador for my assignments and
research. The plan was early Fall.
It’s almost
November.
We still have not
received the Formal Assignment letter from the “authorities” in Ecuador. Our
dossier has been with them since early this month. I have not been given any
timeline, as it seems that nobody knows how long it should take. We need this
letter in addition to the child referral documents (news to me as of last week)
in order to file for the I-800. The I-800 itself generally takes 2-3 weeks to
process and get approved. At which point, they start the process of issuing the Article 5 letter which allows us to travel. Still so much to get through before we can travel to the great port city of Guayaquil and bust our girl out of that orphanage.
This week our agency asked us to start to think about what we would like to send to E to start the bonding process. I ordered a cloth doll online, and had her name embroidered on the bottom of the dress. We will also send a small, smooshy photo book with photos of us, our puppies and our house. I just also received a fantastic tip from an AP who recently returned home with her daughter from Ecuador ... she suggested that we get one of those books that you can record yourself reading. Ryan and I will hit the stores tomorrow, and hopefully find something that we can record and also send to Ecuador.
In the meantime ... Espero
This week our agency asked us to start to think about what we would like to send to E to start the bonding process. I ordered a cloth doll online, and had her name embroidered on the bottom of the dress. We will also send a small, smooshy photo book with photos of us, our puppies and our house. I just also received a fantastic tip from an AP who recently returned home with her daughter from Ecuador ... she suggested that we get one of those books that you can record yourself reading. Ryan and I will hit the stores tomorrow, and hopefully find something that we can record and also send to Ecuador.
In the meantime ... Espero
No comments:
Post a Comment