Monday, February 25, 2013

HOME!!

Our time in Ecuador was bittersweet. We absolutely loved it there, but hated our living conditions. It is so difficult to live out of a hotel room, especially when introducing a new child into your family and trying to establish rules and boundaries. We are also incredibly grateful for the amount of time we did get to spend with her before coming home, but once again it was in the confinement of a hotel room and multiple public settings. I had planned to stay in Ecuador for 8 weeks. Our in-country staff was so amazing though, they got everything done for us in 5 weeks. Which was good, because by that point I was going stir-crazy. Ryan had to leave after 4 weeks, so that left just E and I for that last week. We had only the one appointment, so we spent the rest of the time ordering room service, swimming in the pool, and just playing.

We finally arrived home at 2:30 a.m. on February 21st. Emilia and I had an incredibly long trip home -- 25 hours to be exact. When we got here she was so excited to see her house and her clothes and her toys ... Bedtime was kind of a distant joke. She finally went down close to 4:00 a.m., but was up bright and chipper by 7:00. Every day since we've had her, she wakes up between 7:00 and 7:30, no matter what time she goes to bed. The time change has also done nothing to her.

We're taking our time getting settled and organized (although this part is driving me crazy). Remember my post about being a control freak? It's kicking in full force since we've been home. Everything is so unorganized, and really there's just no time to do it. Does the exhaustion ever go away? I'm having a hard time deciding what to do when she goes down for a nap ... I should sleep because I'm tired (exhausted really), but right now it is the only time I can get anything done.

We've had lots of firsts already. Every day is a new adventure, and we are so blessed with our little monkey!!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

No, the exhaustion never goes away, but you get used to it. The clutter never goes away, but you get better at managing it. You become a more Type AB personality and you learn that it's okay to let go of some things. It's all a beautiful, lovely learning curve. So glad you guys are home!!