Monday, March 25, 2013

Control

It seems as though we (E and I) are having a constant fight for "control". As I've mentioned in the past, I am a Control Freak. My control issues stem from unresolved issues as a child, I'm sure. But I also think it's very much a personality trait. It's difficult to place exactly when or why I have the constant need to control, but I do.

So does E.

So much so that she has to say she wants the milk before I put my hand on the jug and pour her a glass (or put it in her cereal). Most of her "control" issues though cannot be verbalized. We struggle daily working through these things. I've lost my temper. She's lost hers. She does not have the ability to communicate what she's thinking or feeling most of the time. She struggles with language and communication. Not to mention learning English is proving to be incredibly difficult. I continue to speak Spanish to her, because we're home together all day long, and if I didn't, we would get absolutely nothing accomplished.

I am a huge fan of Love & Logic, but it's hard to give your child choices and boundaries when they don't understand 75% of what you're saying, even if it is in their native language.

So -- We're pooped.

In other aspects, she's becoming an Rockstar. Bedtime issues have become quite infrequent. We've gotten into our routine, and she has adjusted incredibly well! She loves any kind of social interaction and absolutely loves it when we get together to play with other kids. She's elated when we run errands and get to stop at Daddy's work.

She has more energy than anyone I know, and every day I try my hardest to keep up!!   

No comments: