Well, well...I got a stunning email today with the following news:
Alert: Kyrgyz Adoptions Appear Stalled
November 14, 2008
The Department of State recommends adoptive parents and agencies exercise caution in pursuing an intercountry adoption from Kyrgyzstan. A number of prospective adoptive parents have reported that their cases are not being processed. The U.S. Embassy has requested official clarification, but no formal announcement has been made.
According to local experts, few if any cases are being processed at this time. Further, the government of Kyrgyzstan appears to be making moves to strengthen its internal controls of and develop new legislation on adoptions. It has been reported that Kyrgyz citizens may have been denied the opportunity to adopt during the past year, even while some intercountry adoptions by non-citizens were being approved. At this time it is not clear what action will be taken on pending cases or if the Government of Kyrgyzstan will accept any new cases.
The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the situation and will provide clarification as soon as it is received.
Suck! Over the past week other PAP's have been talking about contacting our US Senators, Representatives, and other US government officials about the status of international adoption in Kyrgyzstan. Others have been talking about writing letters to the Kyrgyz Ambassador, Kyrgyz Embassy, US Embassy in Kyrgyz, Joint Council for International Children's Services (JCICS), Ministry of Education, etc...I just have to say that I really hate that it has gotten to this point! It's so heartbreaking to hear this news, when all we're trying to do is stay positive. We want our little guy home, along with the 60+ other babies waiting to come home. Ugh. Nothing more to say, but ugh!
Ryan and I are heading to the cabin in Black River tonight with our pups. He'll be hunting and I'll be snuggled up by the fire reading a book...all the while thinking of Arsin...
4 comments:
Jes, I'm really, really sorry for you guys...to know your baby boy is there. Stuck. Devastating. I do have to say this...I really feel the babies stuck in the middle of all of this will eventually get to you guys. I feel that with every nth of my heart.
It's for those of us who just got to Bishkek--are going to be stuck in the *yet again* restructuring that I just don't have that same faith.
Enjoy the cabin. I think now that our state department is involved with pending cases, it should be a matter of time before you are taking your bundle of boy joy with you!
Jes and Lori,
Jes I think we all already knew all of this.... I feel like this is a warning to those who have not already started the process.
Lori I think the same... First that those of us stuck in the middle will eventually get these kids home.... And those of you just starting out I feel for as this has become a longer process then anyone ever expected.
Keep the faith and candles burning!!
I know how frustrating this is. We'll all just keep praying!! Hope you have a relaxing weekend. Incidentally, my parents are at their cabin in Black River, too! Hang in there! :)
We just have to have faith that we will see our sons again soon. Praying for all of us waiting to go back and all of those waiting for a referral.
Post a Comment