Surgery, scheduled July 2nd, went well. Turns out there was a lot more damage than was initially thought. Apparently I tore 30% of my gluteus medius (butt muscles and tendons). Doctor said surgery went well and he is confident of a full recovery.
I spent the first night in the hospital. I was hooked up to IV and had to get shots of pain meds in my thighs. I was able to leave the day after my surgery and 3 in the afternoon. The hour ride home was not very fun! I started physical therapy only 7 days after my surgery. Unfortunately, I stopped taking the pain meds and the PT refused to do anything with me because of my pain level. I'm a bit stubborn, and I just did not like being all drugged up. I was getting nauseous and my face felt like it was falling off. They ended up switching to a different family of pain meds - life was much easier after that. I've since been going to PT twice a week. At this point, I'm only able to do calf raises, leg extensions, and I ride the bike for 12 minutes. I'm still using my crutches, no weight bearing on my left leg. I'll see the surgeon again ain a week and a half. At that point I will find out when and how I can start to walk again. Looks like I will be in therapy for a minimum of 3 months. I never realized how bad this was going to be.
My brother Joe is still visiting and it's been awesome to have his help. Ryan is probably wanting to strangle me by now. I can't do ANYTHING by myself...wait, I take that back, I can use the bathroom by myself. Other than that though, I'm pretty useless being. Doctor told me to take 6 weeks off work, unfortunately, that is just not possible. I'm going into work for a few hours in the morning and then my staff has been told they need to make sure I leave by early afternoon. The first couple days back I ended up being at work until 6! There's just always so much to do!
Otherwise, recovery is going well for the most part. I'm just looking forward to when I can start walking again. Crutches are for the birds! I'm one of the clumsiest people ever, so you can imagine the issues I'm having with these dang metal walkers :)
4 comments:
Jes,
I am praying for a speedy and complete recovery for you! Please take it easy.
Mary from TN
Jes,
I so hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care of yourself and maybe when you are walking well again we will get some call from God to go get our boys.
Christina
Here's to a speedy recovery! It's got to be so frustrating to have to rely on everyone for everything!
Yikes! I hope things are getting easier. Take care of yourself and relax. I know all about feeling like you have to be at work--but I've learned some things will wait--well, most of the time I've learned that!
Post a Comment